Public Safety

  • If you need immediate help for a medical or safety emergency, dial 911 from any phone to speak to a dispatcher. Be prepared to give your exact location.  (Note: 911 calls from mobile phones near or on Lake Champlain may be routed to New York state-based dispatchers.)
  • Emergency calls for police intervention in Charlotte are routed to the Vermont State Police via E-911 dispatch. Traffic enforcement in Charlotte is contracted through the Chittenden County Sheriff’s department.  Non-emergency calls only: 802-863-4341.
  • Charlotte Volunteer Fire & Rescue Services are the first responders for medical and fire emergencies in Charlotte. Non-emergency calls only: 802-425-3111


Other public safety resources:

  • Reflective House Number Signs: if your home's physical address number is NOT clearly visible from the road, first responders may not be able to find you quickly in an emergency. It is the responsibility of the individual property owner to order and install these signs. You can order signs here or here. 
  • Backyard burning of brush or any other deliberate fire set in Charlotte requires securing a burn permit in advance (day of only) from Shelburne dispatch. Call 802-985-8051 to apply for your permit.
  • Sign up with Vermont Emergency Alerts to receive localized emergency alerts for your area via text, phone and email.
  • Be Prepared for Emergencies: find information and resources to help you and your family prepare for natural disasters, extreme weather, power outages and other disruptions here.